-Had four times as many free citizens as South, which made a large work force and
-The North had a much stronger industry than the South
1. They made 90% of the nations goods
2. The North could use these papers to make war goods.
-The North 70% of the nations railroads.
-The North had strong navy.
-The South was fighting a defensive war.
-The Southern defenders knew the Southern terrain well.
-The soldiers were fighting for their homeland.
-Southerners had good soldier skills:
1. Hunting was a big part of Southern life, so men knew how to use guns.
2. Men also knew how to ride horses from a young age.
3. Many young men went to military school to learn how to be officers. (Many of the best officers in the United States army came from the South)